According to the CDC, over 54% of adults in the United States will experience neck pain at least once per year. If prompt treatment is not received, you can often risk symptoms becoming a chronic condition.
Neck pain can be caused in many ways. These include:
- Sitting at a desk for a prolonged period of time
- Sleeping in an awkward position
- Falling and hitting your head
- Occupations/activities where your neck is tilted back for an extended period of time
- Wear and tear over the course of a lifetime
RPT is an excellent source for treating neck pain, stiffness, and headaches. We can often return patients to full function without expensive diagnostic testing (MRIs) or pain medication.
RPT’s treatment for neck pain includes the following:
- Heat and/or ice
- Electrical stimulation
- Traction which is a form of decompression therapy that can relieve pressure on the spine and reduce pain.
- Manual therapy (hands-on treatment from a PT) including: stretching, soft tissue mobilization, and manipulation of joints in the neck
- Therapeutic exercise that will help patients improve the motion, flexibility, and strength to teach them how they can manage their pain independently
- Dry needling which is a skilled intervention performed by a physical therapist who uses a thin filiform needle to penetrate the skin and treats underlying muscular trigger points to reduce or restore impairments of muscle tissue. To learn more about the benefits of dry needling, continue reading here.
- Ergonomic assessment that helps identify causes of neck strain from improper work or home desk setup
Our therapists at RPT want to ensure that your neck pain is fixed appropriately and quickly. If you have lingering neck pain that doesn’t seem to improve, give one of our convenient locations a call to schedule an appointment today!
-Authored by Mike DePola, DPT, OCS, Cert DN
RPT Sandy Location