Proper recovery from a workout is as essential as the workout itself. If you don’t recover well from a workout, you may find yourself suffering from injuries and avoiding the activities that you enjoy.
Today, we’re sharing some recovery tips to keep you doing the things that you love. The following tips will help you maximize your workout benefits and decrease your risk for injury:
1. Stretching properly. Stretching properly is important for your body as you prepare for your workout, and following your workout. There are a few different types of stretching, each with their appropriate time to utilize them.
– Static/Isolated stretching: This kind of stretching is holding a stretch for a longer period of time. For example, a hamstring stretch where you sit with your legs straight out from you and reach towards your toes would be considered a static/isolated stretch.
– Dynamic stretching: This kind of stretching is through movement and is used to combine muscle groups.
– Foam rolling: This is a type of massage for muscles that have been worked out.
A good rule of thumb to follow here is to utilize dynamic stretching prior to your workout, static stretching following your workout, and foam roll throughout your workout.
2. Refueling. This includes hydration and nutrition. Don’t underestimate the power of properly fueling your body. Refueling after a workout with a well-rounded set of carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats will help your body reap the most benefit from your hard effort.
3. Cross-training. Even though running may be your favorite workout, that may be too difficult on your body seven days each week. Switch it up with other types of workouts such as yoga, weight lifting, or swimming.
If you find yourself with an injury that’s not getting better as you rest, it may be time to schedule an appointment with a Physical Therapist. We’re here to help you get back to doing what you love the most.